Re: [m17n] openoffice.org1.0 and compose key
  • From: Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 14:05:22 +0000 (UTC)
Gerhard Schuck <geschu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> as it seams the compose key doesn't work for openoffice.org1.0, if I
> start it (german version) with japanese locale and with XMODIFIERS
> set.

The compose key never works if you are using XIM. Either you use
compose or XIM, as far as I know you can't currently use both at the
same time.

IIIMF will make this possible, with IIIMF you will be able to switch
between different input methods, including compose. But currently
I believe it is not possible to use compose when your are using XIM.

> That means input of accented characters is quite inconvenient:
> "Einfuegen/Sonderzeichen" or copy and paste from a separate
> file. Does anyone know a way to make the compose key work or a more
> convenient way of writing accented characters?

Which accented characters? German? To be able to input both German and
Japanese easily, you can use kinput2 and a German keyboard layout.

If you want to use other accented characters as well, you can switch
keyboards layouts. If you are using KDE, you can select all
the keyboard layouts you need in kcontrol and switch between them
by clicking on an icon in the taskbar. If you don't use KDE
you can switch keyboards with:

setxkbmap de
setxkbmap fr

etc.

Unfortunately that isn't very convenient either, because you need to
remember the different keyboard layouts then.

--
Mike Fabian <mfabian@xxxxxxx> http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。