Re: [opensuse-kernel] Tumbleweed kernel provides
On 01. 03. 19, 19:00, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
While looking for some information I noticed that Leap kernel has
provides for modules and symbols, while TW kernel only has provides for
(I presume) obsolete KMPs. Is it intentional?

I think so. For historic reasons, released openSUSE tried to preserve
kABI in some sense, so that you don't need rebuild and update KMPs with
every kernel update. Tumbleweed on the other hand never claimed the
kernel is stable (in terms of kABI), so there is no point in generating
respective "provides".

I am not sure we still keep kABI in Leap though. I mean, I don't know if
there is any point in generating provides even in Leap nowadays.

regards,
--
js
suse labs