Re: [opensuse-kernel] Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016, at 05:18 AM, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:35:29PM -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 8/13/16 3:15 PM, Jason DeRose wrote:
Hello there!

I was hoping it would possible to enable CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK in the
stable kernel builds?

This would allow AMD Hawaii owners to use the new "amdgpu" drivers. As
it stands, those wanting reasonable 3D performance can't upgrade past
kernel 4.4 because the proprietary "fglrx" driver is obsoleted in later
versions, leaving "radeon" as the only choice.

I have compiled locally with this config setting and the amdgpu driver
seems to work pretty well. I don't think this would affect anyone
negatively as users would still need to manually disable the "radeon"
driver and pass the kernel parameter to enable amdgpu on experimental
hardware before the driver would be chosen.

Thank you for the consideration!

Egbert, Stefan -

Do you have an opinion here? I left it disabled because it was marked
as experimental (and still is).

Not exactly, but: 'Sea islands' GPUs (Kaveri, Bonaire, Hawaii, Kabini,
mullins) are also supported by radeon driver, so one needs to blacklist
that
driver on target systems with CI GPUs (and only on these!) in order to
switch
to amdgpu driver. As long as this remains unknown enabling it would be
rather
useless.

Also once amdgpu support for CIK is considered stable, one needs to
disable
support in radeon driver. Hope upstream is not going to forget this ...

So, if we want to enable it on SUSE, we need to disable it in radeon
driver.
So this would mean a patch, which may never become upstream ...

Thanks,
Stefan

Just to be clear - I wasn't suggesting that radeon be blacklisted for
Sea Island yet. But, with CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK=y set the user then has
the option to blacklist radeon and choose amdgpu instead themselves. I
do not think there is a concern that users will not know about it - Any
owners of these cards currently who are using fglrx will find that it no
longer works once upgrading beyond kernel 4.4, and go searching for an
answer (which is the way that I ended up here). There is quite a bit of
discussion out there about these cards being essentially orphaned,
especially for distros that have already made fixed releases with newer
kernel versions.

Of course, I don't have complete knowledge of the possible implications
by loading this driver for users who never choose to use it, so if you
tell me "no, go away" it will be understandable :)

Thank you again for your time!