Re: [opensuse-kernel] Could CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK be enabled in the TW builds?
On 8/13/16 3:15 PM, Jason DeRose wrote:
Hello there!

I was hoping it would possible to enable CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK in the
stable kernel builds?

This would allow AMD Hawaii owners to use the new "amdgpu" drivers. As
it stands, those wanting reasonable 3D performance can't upgrade past
kernel 4.4 because the proprietary "fglrx" driver is obsoleted in later
versions, leaving "radeon" as the only choice.

I have compiled locally with this config setting and the amdgpu driver
seems to work pretty well. I don't think this would affect anyone
negatively as users would still need to manually disable the "radeon"
driver and pass the kernel parameter to enable amdgpu on experimental
hardware before the driver would be chosen.

Thank you for the consideration!

Egbert, Stefan -

Do you have an opinion here? I left it disabled because it was marked
as experimental (and still is).

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney