Re: [opensuse-kernel] SSD / filesystem / TRIM
  • From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:55:02 +0200
On 08/30/2010 08:41 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
wrote:

On 30/08/10 07:29, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:41:17 -0700,
Greg KH wrote:
[...]
Not at all. Just plug it in and use it like a "normal" disk and all
will work just fine, that's what I do. Nothing special at all and it
works _way_ faster than a "normal" disk.

Yes, there seem some misunderstanding. Normal users don't need
anything. SSD works just as is, and it's fast enough.

If you are adventurous, you can go quest for the performance
optimization with TRIM support. But normal people don't need it at
this moment. So, arguing about the usability for normal users doesn't
make sense for now.

Thanks for the reassurance. Everybody on the internet seems to be talking
about TRIM etc when it comes to SSD, that's why it looks to be so
important (even the openSUSE wiki focuses on TRIM). Without having the
proper technical background in ATA, filesystem, and SSD technology, it's
difficult to know who's right and who's wrong. Anyway, the SSD works fine
for me at the moment and indeed a lot faster than a normal HDD. We are
currently running some tests to see whether we could use SSD technology
for our large Linux clusters where we need fast scratch disks on each
cluster node.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas,

RE: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:SSD_discard_%28trim%29_support

I've been working on the SSD discard page. In particular, I added an
intro to the wiki ssd article to this effect:

===
This article discusses a specific SSD feature and what some may
consider a shortcoming. This "shortcoming" in no way means that SSDs
are not a good solution with openSUSE today. Basic SSD operation is
supported in all released versions of openSUSE and provides full ATA-7
support and significant performance improvements over rotating disks
are seen for most SSDs with most workloads. It is only the new ATA-8
TRIM feature that is not yet fully implemented nor optimized. Not
having this single feature fully integrated into openSUSE (or the
linux kernel in general) is no reason not to benefit from the
significant performance gain available in modern SSDs.
===

Hopefully that makes the situation more clear.

Greg

Very good Greg, with this introduction, I can better understand, and now I'm
back in trouble in which ssd to choose.
Last week, the choice for a simple new mechanical harddrive was simple :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann bruno@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member