Re: [opensuse-kernel] SSD / filesystem / TRIM
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:26:14 +0100

On 30/08/10 07:29, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:41:17 -0700,
Greg KH wrote:
[...]
Not at all. Just plug it in and use it like a "normal" disk and all
will work just fine, that's what I do. Nothing special at all and it
works _way_ faster than a "normal" disk.

Yes, there seem some misunderstanding. Normal users don't need
anything. SSD works just as is, and it's fast enough.

If you are adventurous, you can go quest for the performance
optimization with TRIM support. But normal people don't need it at
this moment. So, arguing about the usability for normal users doesn't
make sense for now.

Thanks for the reassurance. Everybody on the internet seems to be talking
about TRIM etc when it comes to SSD, that's why it looks to be so
important (even the openSUSE wiki focuses on TRIM). Without having the
proper technical background in ATA, filesystem, and SSD technology, it's
difficult to know who's right and who's wrong. Anyway, the SSD works fine
for me at the moment and indeed a lot faster than a normal HDD. We are
currently running some tests to see whether we could use SSD technology
for our large Linux clusters where we need fast scratch disks on each
cluster node.

Regards,
Thomas