Re: [opensuse-kernel] [OT] PathScale packaging bounty
  • From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:03:47 +0700
Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:46:38PM +0700, "C. Bergström" wrote:
Hi all

Apologies for the OT cross post, but I couldn't sort this out and
any help is greatly appreciated.. (Others directed me here)

PathScale needs some packaging help

1) kernel-trace, kernel-default, kernel-sources , kernel-trace-sources
(if they differ) , kernel-trace-sysm (if this needs to be different
from, kernel-sysm)
I've started a package [1] derived from Kernel:HEAD which gets close to
doing what we need, but not quite. The kernel-trace package builds and
boots, but I can't manage to get the corresponding kernel-trace-sources
to correctly match.

The kernel-trace-sources package should be the same as the
kernel-sources package, there is no difference.
That's what I thought, but the results I got disagreed.. I specifically needed to do two things

1) Build the closed NVIDIA driver (I couldn't get this to work and after a day of fighting gave up)
2) Build pscnv (I didn't get to this..

What I ended up resorting to was installing the source package, using the traces config and manually building the kernel. By doing that I got the running kernel to match the sources at /usr/src/linux and was able to achieve both #1 and #2 from above..

2) pscnv (Built against the kernel-default and kernel-trace from above)
http://github.com/pathscale/pscnv
(There's existing nouveau packages which could possibly be a good base
start..
https://build.opensuse.org/project/repositories?project=home%3Ajobermayr )

That's an opensolaris driver, why would you want to build it on Linux?
That README and the COPYING file needs to be updated.. It builds against the traces source 2.6.35 and also I believe newer kernel versions..

Thanks

./C