[opensuse-kernel] update/11.2-test Kernel 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop - 2nd disk & USB Mass storage swapped drive letters
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:07:30 +0000
Tried out the kernel update from 11.2-test, seems alright so far but
thought better give heads up on drive name change.

Trying to break things, I had /boot read-only, and remounted after
checking the error popup. Did have some issues with the preload
kernel module package, perhaps because I had a kernel-vanilla
installed as well as desktop, which I upgraded first rather than
running whole patch. Anyway, on first boot up after loading the
preload package, when hitting ESC I noticed some unexpected error
messages re object files not being found very early on, before udev is
started. The next boot was clean.

When I looked, a USB mass storage device has become sdb, and the 2nd
hard disk is sdc. Because I mount using Labels it's not a problem for
me, but thought I better report this in case, it's not due to my
system glitch, but more general affecting ppl using device names
statically.

Rob