Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware enablement in kernel updates
  • From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:57:15 +0100
At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:13:56 +0100,
Michal Marek wrote:

If building KMPs is hard, then maybe we should work at making it
easier.

Agreed, but if the code is going to be taken care of by the same people
who take care of the kernel (at least this is how I read Jeff's
proposal), then no matter how we try, maintaining the kernel + dozen of
KMPs will never be easier than maintaining everything on one place.
Think of e.g. fixes in driver subsystems that affect both core code and
the drivers - having to fix such things in multiple packages is not
gonna be fun.

One merit of KMP is the quickness of update.
In general, the update rate of kernel is relatively slow. If you find
a crash bug in the driver code and fix it in the kernel tree, the
official update is postponed. With KMP, it could be handled more
quickly.

Of course, there are lots of downside of KMP, and keeping everything
in the kernel update is ideal.

Takashi