Re: [opensuse-kernel] kernel & BIOS report (incorrectly?) different current/available speeds for overclocked CPU
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 01:16:38 -0400

PGNet Dev wrote:
Then you are totally on your own, sorry.
True, but we should still be reporting the real speed if the hardware does.

the problem exists with any/all speeds above the 'stock' 2.8 GHz ....
if, given the responses above and below you're actually interested in
more data, i can provide coremark benchmarks in both cases showing
virtually identical results in both cases. i.e., despite the OS's
report that the cpu speed is "2.8GHz", it's actually still at the
BIOS-reported 3.7 GHZ.

Yes, that's what I consider to be the bug here. If it's running at 3.7
GHz and performing at 3.7 GHz, that's important.

To the original poster: In an environment that is based around sharing
and open standards, anonymous emails don't encourage people to respond
favorably.

hardly anonymous ... but, huh? anonimity justifies rudeness? you need
to be "encouraged" to politely respond to community members (lets
forget paying customers, for the moment) trying to be helpful?

Overclocking is a sensitive topic. It can introduce stability problems
that are reported as normal bugs when they are most definitely not.
After you see a bunch of them, it's easy to get a little jumpy. Don't
take it personally.

A stable email address doesn't mean you're not anonymous. Communities
are built on trust. In the kernel community, we sign off code patches
with our names and email addresses. I don't think it's too much to ask
for reporters to do the same. If you're not submitting code, I don't
care if you use a pseudonym. I want to be able to be able to say "Hi" at
the beginning of an email and have it be an actual name. If you do
submit code and use a pseudonym then you're definitely not part of the
community.

To answer your other question: even if the tool reported your CPU speed
accurately, any problems you report with that configuration will be
ignored. The hardware would be operating out of spec and any guarantees
that the software would be operating properly go right out the window.

so overclocking of any kind in UNsupported by *suse and will be
ignored? that'll be news to quite a few folks, i'd presume ...

If you're operating outside of parameters that the hardware vendors
define, absolutely!

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney