Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] kernel-source-rt what is it?
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:26:20 -0500

Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:01:49AM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, I just tried zypper in kernel-pa* kernel-s* in order to obtain the
latest kernel-pae and kernel-source and syms packages from factory and
zypper wanted to install kernel-source-rt and kernel-syms-rt. What is
the effect, are these preconfigured real time kernel source and sym
packages

Yes.

and would make cloneconfig simply turn them into normal sources?

No, they would be installed on your machine.

I don't think that was the question.

Dave, the -rt packages are "special." All other kernel flavors use a
unified source tree, where changes between them are just configuration
differences. The differences are handled in the /usr/src/linux-obj
hierarchy. The -RT has changes that are large, pervasive, and
fundamentally different in places that require us to ship a completely
different source tree. It's not just a configuration difference. A "make
cloneconfig" might complete successfully, but I doubt it. Even if it
did, you'd end up with a result very different from the configuration
you cloned.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney