Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:24:54 +0000

Michael Matz wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

I also imagine that bringing up the reiser3 xattr code will be like a
third rail, but it is what it is.
Do we have people that rely on it in our kernels? Do we want to drag it
along for 7 more years? :)
I don't see us deprecating reiser3. I don't know if the xattr patches
are
necessary for xattrs to work on reiser at all, but I do know that we use
xattrs, so that too needs to continue to work.
I think I misunderstood Greg's question here.

ReiserFS extended attributes have been in mainline since, oh, 2.6.14 or
something. They're a fact. The patches are there to make the code not
suck so much.

I see. Well, as Greg has a point about the 7 years it probably makes
sense to make the code suck as little as possible. I don't know upstreams
"community" of reiser3, but perhaps they also would appreciate a little
nicer code :-)

It works out that "Upstream" is still the old Namesys guys, but I end up
doing most of the work. When I do come up with something, they don't
really comment on it. I might as well just merge these against -mm and
let them stew for a revision before pushing them out to mainline. I'm

That sounds like a way to go. You can also make yourself maintainer of
reiser...
Pavel
(cesky, pictures)
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html