Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:46:26 -0800
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:35:36PM -0500, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:26:03PM -0500, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
I doubt it. Probably 2.6.26 if I can get akpm to accept them into -mm
for some testing. I've sent them to the reiserfs list several times with
very little feedback. There's not a whole lot of interest in maintaining
reiser3.

Just push them to him, if they are real bugfixes, they should go in.

None of them are bug fixes. They're all enhancements to either behavior
or code readability.

Ah, ok, as long as you want to maintain them... :)

I also imagine that bringing up the reiser3 xattr code will be like a
third rail, but it is what it is.

Do we have people that rely on it in our kernels? Do we want to drag it
along for 7 more years? :)

Yeah, actually. Anyone with reiserfs setup by YaST who hasn't disabled
it is using it. The code works. That's not the problem. The problem is
that it's the file i/o in kernel space blight that everyone rants about
when they see it.

Ok, fair enough, thanks for letting me know.

greg k-h