Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:46:20 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

I also imagine that bringing up the reiser3 xattr code will be like a
third rail, but it is what it is.
Do we have people that rely on it in our kernels? Do we want to drag it
along for 7 more years? :)

I don't see us deprecating reiser3. I don't know if the xattr patches are
necessary for xattrs to work on reiser at all, but I do know that we use
xattrs, so that too needs to continue to work.

I think I misunderstood Greg's question here.

ReiserFS extended attributes have been in mainline since, oh, 2.6.14 or
something. They're a fact. The patches are there to make the code not
suck so much.

I see. Well, as Greg has a point about the 7 years it probably makes
sense to make the code suck as little as possible. I don't know upstreams
"community" of reiser3, but perhaps they also would appreciate a little
nicer code :-)

Ciao,
Michael.