Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:35:36 -0500

Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 05:26:03PM -0500, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
Greg KH wrote:
Hi all,

As I'm going to be the one trying to manage the 11.0 kernel release, I
figured it was time to take a look at all of the patches we have in our
tree, and see why they are not upstream already.

So, here's a breakdown of all 228 patches in our "normal" kernel tree
(I'm ignoring the -rt tree right now, that's just crazy at the
moment...)

I'd like all of the developers here to at least respond with a reason
why their patches are in the tree and not in mainline already. If they
patch will show up in 2.6.25, let us know, and we can properly mark it
as such. If it's a feature that isn't upstream, and it isn't obvious
why, please let us know.
reiserfs patches:
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-per-file-data-ordered-mode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-buffer-info-for-balance.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-cleanup-path-funcs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-consistent-messages.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-eliminate-per-super-xattr-lock.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-journaled-xattrs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-kill-xattr-readdir.diff

patches.suse/reiserfs-make-per-inode-xattr-locking-more-fine-grained.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-mount-count
patches.suse/reiserfs-rearrange-journal-abort.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs-warning.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_info.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_panic.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-i_has_xattr_dir.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-link-detection.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_bh.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_inode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_sb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_tb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-selinux.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-simplify-xattr-internal-file-lookups-opens.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-strip-whitespace.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-generic-xattr-handlers.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-xattrs-noatime.diff
are these going to show up in 2.6.25?
I doubt it. Probably 2.6.26 if I can get akpm to accept them into -mm
for some testing. I've sent them to the reiserfs list several times with
very little feedback. There's not a whole lot of interest in maintaining
reiser3.

Just push them to him, if they are real bugfixes, they should go in.

None of them are bug fixes. They're all enhancements to either behavior
or code readability.

I also imagine that bringing up the reiser3 xattr code will be like a
third rail, but it is what it is.

Do we have people that rely on it in our kernels? Do we want to drag it
along for 7 more years? :)

Yeah, actually. Anyone with reiserfs setup by YaST who hasn't disabled
it is using it. The code works. That's not the problem. The problem is
that it's the file i/o in kernel space blight that everyone rants about
when they see it.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney