[opensuse-kernel] opensuse 11.0 kernel patch justification needed from you
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:10:07 -0800

Hi all,

As I'm going to be the one trying to manage the 11.0 kernel release, I
figured it was time to take a look at all of the patches we have in our
tree, and see why they are not upstream already.

So, here's a breakdown of all 228 patches in our "normal" kernel tree
(I'm ignoring the -rt tree right now, that's just crazy at the
moment...)

I'd like all of the developers here to at least respond with a reason
why their patches are in the tree and not in mainline already. If they
patch will show up in 2.6.25, let us know, and we can properly mark it
as such. If it's a feature that isn't upstream, and it isn't obvious
why, please let us know.

So, here goes, broken down by developer:

Build system stuff that we need for building kernels
patches.rpmify/buildhost
patches.rpmify/cloneconfig.diff
patches.rpmify/rpm-kernel-config

Suse specific kernel markings:
patches.suse/supported-flag
patches.suse/suse-ppc64-branding (gotta love this one...)

Xen stuff: 40+ patches.
Yeah, we all know why they aren't upstream, oh well...

Apparmor stuff: 48 patches
JJ, any plan on getting these into mainline? I saw a posting a
while ago with them to lkml, but they didn't go into -mm and I
never saw any feedback, nor a repost.

Jeff:
reiserfs patches:
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-per-file-data-ordered-mode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-add-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-buffer-info-for-balance.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-cleanup-path-funcs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-consistent-messages.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-eliminate-per-super-xattr-lock.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-journaled-xattrs.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-kill-xattr-readdir.diff

patches.suse/reiserfs-make-per-inode-xattr-locking-more-fine-grained.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-mount-count
patches.suse/reiserfs-rearrange-journal-abort.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs-warning.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_info.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-reiserfs_panic.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-i_has_xattr_dir.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-remove-link-detection.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_._.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_bh.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_inode.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_sb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-rename-p_s_tb.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-selinux.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-simplify-xattr-internal-file-lookups-opens.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-strip-whitespace.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-generic-xattr-handlers.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-use-reiserfs_error.diff
patches.suse/reiserfs-xattrs-noatime.diff
are these going to show up in 2.6.25?

reiserfs4 patches:
patches.suse/reiser4-exports
patches.suse/reiser4-sync_inodes
why do we have these still as we don't have reiserfs4 and I don't
think we plan on adding it, right? Or are they needed for a kmp?
Is it still worth hanging on to this as upstream development is now
dead?

"kernel.org" patches:
patches.kernel.org/gcc43-workaround.diff
patches.kernel.org/ia64-jprobe-return-section-conflict.diff
patches.kernel.org/ipmi-section-conflict.diff
patches.kernel.org/powerpc-needs-uboot
patches.kernel.org/psmouse-section-conflict.diff
Are these going to be in 2.6.25? If not, why haven't we pushed them
there?

What about these others:
patches.arch/s390-add-FREE_PTE_NR
patches.fixes/ds1682-build-fix
patches.fixes/libiscsi-missing-semicolon.diff
patches.fixes/loop-barriers
patches.fixes/loop-barriers2
patches.fixes/proc-scsi-scsi-fix.diff
patches.suse/ext2-fsync-err
patches.suse/ext3-barrier-default

If these defaults are too small, why haven't we got upstream to take the
change?:
patches.suse/shmall-bigger

Thomas Renninger:
How come these aren't upstream:
patches.arch/acpi_autoload_bay.patch
patches.arch/export-acpi_check_resource_conflict.patch

patches.arch/small-acpica-extension-to-be-able-to-store-the-name-of.patch
patches.fixes/acpi_autoload_baydock.patch
patches.fixes/acpi_force-fan-active.patch
patches.suse/acpi_dsdt_ssdt_initrd_initramfs.patch
patches.suse/dm-emulate-blkrrpart-ioctl

Jean Delavare:
Are these going to be in 2.6.25:

patches.arch/check-for-acpi-resource-conflicts-in-hwmon-drivers.patch

patches.arch/check-for-acpi-resource-conflicts-in-i2c-bus-drivers.patch
patches.fixes/pci-quirk-enable-smbus-on-hp-xw4100.patch

Andi Kleen:
Why aren't these upstream?
patches.arch/disable-apic-error
patches.arch/x86-nvidia-timer-quirk
patches.suse/wireless-no-aes-select

Olaf Hering:
Why are we dragging these ppc patches around? Why aren't they
upstream? Do we still care about the pegasos platform? Lots of these
should be upstream already...
patches.arch/ppc-efika-modalias.patch
patches.arch/ppc-efika-mpc52xx-ac97.patch
patches.arch/ppc-efika-psc-console-autodetection.patch
patches.arch/ppc-iseries-remove-AVAILABLE_VETH.patch
patches.arch/ppc-pegasos-console-autodetection.patch
patches.arch/ppc-pegasos-mv643xx_eth-modalias.patch
patches.arch/ppc-pegasos-pata_via-fixup.patch
patches.arch/ppc-prom-nodisplay.patch
patches.arch/ppc-vio-modalias.patch
patches.arch/ppc64-xmon-dmesg-printing.patch
patches.drivers/ppc64-adb
patches.fixes/bootstrap-memoryless-node.patch
patches.suse/nameif-track-rename.patch
patches.suse/ppc-powerbook-usb-fn-key-default.patch

Bernhard Walle
Why aren't these upstream:
patches.arch/ppc-fix-prpmc2800
patches.drivers/igb-2007-12-11

Hannes Reinecke
Why aren't these upstream:
patches.arch/s390-ccwgroup-attribute-ignore-newline
patches.fixes/dm-mpath-hp-sw.patch
patches.fixes/megaraid_mbox-dell-cerc-support
patches.fixes/mptbase-vmware-fix

Takashi Iwai:
Are these going to be in 2.6.25?:
patches.drivers/alsa-usb-exclude-1st-slot

Greg Kroah-Hartman:
Why aren't these upstream:
patches.drivers/always-announce-new-usb-devices.patch
patches.drivers/nozomi.patch
patches.drivers/sysfs-crash-debugging.patch
patches.suse/usb-storage-disable-delay.patch

Bernhard Kaindl:
Why are these patches not upstream:
patches.drivers/early-firewire.diff

Tejun Heo:
Are these upstream for 2.6.25?:
patches.drivers/libata-add-waits-for-govault
patches.drivers/libata-force-cable-type
patches.drivers/libata-sata_nv-disable-ADMA
patches.drivers/libata-unlock-hpa-by-default
patches.drivers/scsi-throttle-SG_DXFER_TO_FROM_DEV-warning-better

Jiri Benc:
Aren't these in 2.6.25?
patches.fixes/mac80211-fix-hw-scan1.patch
patches.fixes/mac80211-fix-hw-scan2.patch

Jiri Kosina:
Why are these patches not upstream:
patches.suse/aslr-i386-and-x86_64-randomize-brk.patch
patches.suse/aslr-pie-executable-randomization.patch

Michael Schroeder:
Why aren't we using the userspace bootsplash stuff that other distros
do, and are still relying on an in-kernel jpg decoder? That seems
pretty wasteful, and this code will never go upstream. Can't we
change this now?
patches.suse/bootsplash

Andreas Gruenbacher:
Your ACL stuff still isn't ready for upstream, right? How come only
one patch is enabled in our tree?
patches.suse/nfs4acl-ext3.diff

Why aren't these upstream:
patches.suse/parser-match_string.diff

Kurt Garloff:
Why isn't this one upstream? It's been in our tree for ages, which
tends to make me think it's no longer needed for us?
patches.suse/scsi-error-test-unit-ready-timeout
We should be able to drop this now:
patches.suse/setuid-dumpable-wrongdir

Nick Piggin:
If this is such a performance issue, why isn't it upstream? You would
think that everyone would be wanting it, if it really is necessary...
patches.suse/smtnice-disable

Jan Beulich:
Why isn't this upstream?:
patches.suse/stack-unwind

Andreas Schwab:
Do we really care about this architecture enough to be dragging on all
of these patches? As they aren't upstream, why do we care?:
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-BIT
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-get-property
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-handle-mm-fault
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-ioctl
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-kbuild.patch
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol-sheep
patches.suse/suse-ppc32-mol.patch

Oliver Neukum:
Is this still needed as we have disabled autosuspend automatically for
usb devices:
patches.suse/usb_printer_no_auto.diff

KBD fun:
These might go upstream, but I really doubt it. Note that kgdb hooks
might be in mainline soon, so these might need to be majorly rewritten
to handle these hooks. For now we'll keep them, but I really doubt
their usability. Does anyone use this?
patches.suse/kbd-ignore-gfx.patch
patches.suse/kdb-common
patches.suse/kdb-ia64
patches.suse/kdb-serial-8250
patches.suse/kdb-x86

squashfs fun:
Someday this will make it upstream, but until then, we drag it
along...
patches.suse/squashfs.patch
patches.suse/squashfs.patch.fixup

No more maintainer, or no valid "Signed-off-by:" from a Novell developer:
I'm going to drop these, unless someone really feels that they should
be in our kernel tree. If so, please let me know by the end of the
week. Maybe I should just throw them at lkml, as we are using them
for some reason. If they don't stick, they should probably be
gone...
patches.fixes/bridge-module-get-put.patch
patches.fixes/do_anonymous_page-race
patches.fixes/grab-swap-token-oops
patches.fixes/ieee1394-sbp2_long_sysfs_ieee1394_id.patch
patches.fixes/ipv6-no-autoconf
patches.fixes/oom-warning
patches.fixes/parport-mutex
patches.fixes/remount-no-shrink-dcache
patches.fixes/seccomp-disable-tsc-option
patches.fixes/tiocgdev
patches.fixes/tulip-quad-NIC-ifdown
patches.suse/connector-read-mostly
patches.suse/crasher-26.diff
patches.suse/filp-slab-rcu
patches.suse/lockd-max-hosts-dynamic (and other lockd stuff,
should all be dropped I
feel, as we don't have
anyone who cares about
it anymore here...)
patches.suse/netfilter-ipt_LOG-mac
patches.suse/sysctl-add-affinity_load_balancing
patches.suse/twofish-2.6 (We gotta be able to drop this one
now, right? If not, why isn't it
upstream?)
patches.suse/unmap_vmas-lat