Re: [opensuse-kde3] Getting ready to install Leap 42.3 and KDE3...
Leslie Turriff composed on 2017-08-18 00:35 (UTC-0500):

I'm getting ready to install Leap 42.3 on my desktop system, and I'm
looking
for recommendations for getting KDE3 to work 'out of the box', since
previously I've struggled with weird results when starting from a DM-free
OpenSuSE install. (It appears to me that KDE3 expects certain non-KDE3
packages to be preinstalled, otherwise weird things happen.)

What would be the best DM to install initially, to be later superceded
by
KDE3? I'd like to avoid KDE4 and Plasma as much as possible.

I traditionally minimally install X with IceWM, but I don't bother trying to use
it before installing KDE3 with zypper. /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
(DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm3") and /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager (DEFAULT_WM="startkde")
need to be configured, whether with YaST or manually, before you can expect
either to work correctly, if at all, right from boot. You should be able to use
IceWM to get into the GUI YaST2 and get KDE3 installed. I don't think anything
required to run KDE3 depends on any of KDE4 or Plasma5, but YaST does use QT5.
You should not have to suffer through any of that SDDM or Plasma trouble you had
last April if you stick to IceWM to get to GUI YaST, but during installation you
do need to select details from the Software Selection and System Tasks
installation screen to be able to deselect install recommended packages from the
dependencies menu if you want to avoid installing things you are unlikely ever
to want or use.

Also, what is the best way to get the restricted codecs installed? The
available One-Click options don't seem work with a KDE3-only system.

I generally try hard to avoid using 1-click. I configure my repos manually and
get what openSUSE's repos don't provide from Packman, plus libdvdcss2 from
opensuse-guide.org.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/