Re: [opensuse-kde3] Make KDE3 aware of non-KDE programs? [reciprocal rant]
On 07/07/2017 09:22 PM, Leslie Turriff wrote:
On 2017-07-07 17:57:31 David C. Rankin wrote:
Footnote [1] plasma/fw5 konqueror is a fricking mess, you cannot even
restore your last saved setup that you configured to have it work like kde3
with the dir tree on the left and detailed files on the right. Instead on
each lauch of konqueror you have to re-freeze the directory listing. Their
answer? -- they want you to use a dumbed down dolphin instead! - what crap.
KDE without Konqueror -- sign me up!

Um... not sure exactly what you're saying here.

Look closely: "Footnote [1] plasma/fw5 konqueror" That's the KDE5 konqueror.

Konqueror in KDE3 has to be
the best file manager I've ever used, and that's one of the main reasons
they'll have to pry KDE3 from my cold dead fingers.

Agreed. The first thing I start each session. Followed by konsole (you can
even use dcop to setup your sessions and name the tabs). Then kate with
whatever smattering of files are in use. (when I was building TDE for Arch,
I'd have 128 PKGBUILD build scripts open at once) The the remaining apps as
needed.

Konqueror's preview abilities are second to none and KDE3 provides all the
preview formats that the later KDEs do as well. The single-click interface
with 'focus follows mouse' and the forethought to allow clicking in the empty
space to the right of the filename to focus was a stroke of brilliance that
KDE4 and Plasma totally screwed up (Qt4 and FW5 are *incapable* of of
providing the same functionality -- instead they way to add stupid red and
green checkboxes for you to click to focus -- so much for efficiency and
accomplishing a task with the minimum of inputs required...

The eye-candy loons had their fingers into KDE3 toward the end as well;
they
tried to replace the Hicolor Classic icon set with a slew of low-contrast
pastel icons that are pretty much impossible for a lot of old farts like me
to distinguish. (Being an ex-mainframe person, used to working with just
a "green screen" text terminal, all I want is a nice clean, =>functional<=
interface.) Then the KDE4 bozos came up with the idea of (I guess one would
call) compiled themes that are sooo much harder to customize than in KDE3. I
wouldn't have minded so much if they had just provided one look-alike theme;
but no, just a zillion 'artsy' themes, pure eye-candy, and a set of controls
that requires a PhD to understand. I agree with you, we have better things
to do than struggle with their "improved" desktop; like getting on with our
work...

The other KDE3 triumph (which extends to the current Plasma/Fw5 edition) is
konsole. The ability to have 10 sessions (3 or 4 to localhost and the rest to
the remote servers I deal with via ssh) in a clean tabbed interface was
brilliance. The KDE4 and Plasma versions have a horrible tab setup. The tabs
try and expand to fill the entire width - awful.