Re: [opensuse-kde3] Setting up BlueTooth with KDE3
On 07/07/2017 10:54 PM, Leslie Turriff wrote:
That's okay. This is my first experience with BlueTooth; it seems to
be the
only way to share a keyboard and mouse between two systems. I guess I
expected that the support for such an "old" technology would be quite stable
(silly me). One of the things that bugs me is the dearth of real
documentation on these systems. (I have to admit that I've been totally
spoiled by my thirty years in the mainframe environment, where the hardcopy
documentation for just the components of the OS fills a moderately sized
room, with separate volumes for installation, configuration, operation,
tuning, and debugging; just the system messages and codes manual takes up
four thick volumes.) I am continually confounded on one hand by sketchy man
pages, and on the other by some that are so complex (e.g. sudo) as to be
effectively useless, all couched in terminology seemingly intended to obscure
rather than inform.

Hah! When I started with NASA in 89 (I was an AE before an ATTY), we still
used mainframes, BICs, etc. for flight design and to start and run both the
fixed-base and motion-base simulators in Building 5. I'm not sure about
spoiled. When they died, they died, and somebody way smarter on mainframes
hand to breath life back into them :) (and the phone would start ringing off
the hook if you kicked off an SVDS run before normal quitting time -- it would
bring the whole system to a crawl. If I recall correctly it was about 750,000
lines of FORTRAN, common-blocks, yuk!)

This BlueTooth stuff is a case in point. How can someone attempting to
configure a BlueTooth device be expected to know that the pertinent tool is
called hciconfig? For that matter, looking at the tools provided by the
bluez package, there is also one called hcitool. As usual, the man pages for
these provide little in the way of helpful info.

Thank God the glic man pages are bullet-proof works of art. Now the individual
packages like hcitool, etc. many times rely on just the package developer to
put the pages together -- we all know how much priority documentation gets in
our own projects.

<snip>

An example from the hciconfig man file "explaining" one of its parameters is

voice [voice]
With no voice, prints voice setting. Otherwise, sets voice set-
ting to voice. voice is a 16-bit hex number describing the
voice setting.

There is no explanation of what voice does, and no description of the allowed
values for this option or their meanings. This is typical of the content of
most man files.

I guess the developer expects us to reference the source-code for a complete
understanding - even then, depending on comments in the code and his coding
style, it can be a challenge.

It does look as if hciconfig might be more useful than hcitool; or
perhaps
there is a real distinction between 'devices' and 'connections'. Of course,
these man pages don't describe how (or if) they complement one another. And
there are a handful of other tools in the package that I'll have to examine.
Of course, /usr/share/doc/packages/bluez is a waste of time; one wonders why
anyone bothers with it... :-(
On my ancient PPC Mac (which I keep solely to run an obsolete version
of a
package whose vendor is apparently afraid of Linux users), as soon as I
powered it on, OS-X detected the presence of my new keyboard and ran a wizard
to connect.
I can understand that Linux doesn't install the software for a
particular
device if it is not present during installation, and I don't mind that it is
configured via a CLI, but why does it have to be so obscurant?

The whole bluetooth thing is somewhat black box to me. I've never really used
it other than on small devices that were intended for its use (e.g. wireless
phone earbuds, etc.) Then the device handles the pairing process fairly easily.

Here are a few more links that look relevant:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/96693/connect-to-a-bluetooth-device-via-terminal

https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/bluetooth-connect-device.html

This reminds me of setting of a PXE-boot server. There was a 'smattering' of
pages (some with old, some with new, some with bewildering) information. Think
of yourself is a pioneer (or prospector) of bluetooth knowledge. Once you
strike gold, you will be a prime candidate to update (or write) the suse
bluetooth howto.