Re: [opensuse-kde3] Make KDE3 aware of non-KDE programs? [reciprocal rant]
On 2017-07-07 17:57:31 David C. Rankin wrote:
Footnote [1] plasma/fw5 konqueror is a fricking mess, you cannot even
restore your last saved setup that you configured to have it work like kde3
with the dir tree on the left and detailed files on the right. Instead on
each lauch of konqueror you have to re-freeze the directory listing. Their
answer? -- they want you to use a dumbed down dolphin instead! - what crap.
KDE without Konqueror -- sign me up!

Um... not sure exactly what you're saying here. Konqueror in KDE3 has
to be
the best file manager I've ever used, and that's one of the main reasons
they'll have to pry KDE3 from my cold dead fingers.
The eye-candy loons had their fingers into KDE3 toward the end as well;
they
tried to replace the Hicolor Classic icon set with a slew of low-contrast
pastel icons that are pretty much impossible for a lot of old farts like me
to distinguish. (Being an ex-mainframe person, used to working with just
a "green screen" text terminal, all I want is a nice clean, =>functional<=
interface.) Then the KDE4 bozos came up with the idea of (I guess one would
call) compiled themes that are sooo much harder to customize than in KDE3. I
wouldn't have minded so much if they had just provided one look-alike theme;
but no, just a zillion 'artsy' themes, pure eye-candy, and a set of controls
that requires a PhD to understand. I agree with you, we have better things
to do than struggle with their "improved" desktop; like getting on with our
work...