Re: [opensuse-kde3] 13.1 user cannot eject usb stick
  • From: Mark Goldstein <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 14:59:34 +0200
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In 11.4, I put in a stick, a popup asked me what to do, I selected open in
new window, and went on about my business. When business finished, I went
updir in that window, right clicked, and selected safely remove. Safely
remove is denied in 13.1, "not authorized to perform operation". AFAICT, I
can only eject as root user. I looked through the entire kde3 mailing list
archive from October 2013 on without seeing this mentioned, and Googling
"opensuse usb not authorized to perform operation 13.1 kde3" turned up
nothing directly on apparent point, only about 12.3 and no more HAL or
kio_slave. How/where does one authorize user ejection? Would updating to
whatever's in the Trident repo help? If this is as simple as enabling the
KDE3HAL repo to get HAL and the missing kio, why is KDE3HAL a separate repo?
What's the downside?

Mount output with a native stick inserted:
/dev/sdg1 on /media/KNOPPIX72 type ext4
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,sync,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks)

Mount output with a NTFS stick inserted:
/dev/sdg1 on /media/KINGS101G2 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,sync,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)

Mount output with a VFAT stick inserted:
/dev/sdg1 on /media/STORE N GO type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,sync,uid=1050,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1050/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1050,group_id=1000)

Felix,
Ilya once sent me the link to some tip that helped me in 12.3. I still
did not try it in 13.1 or 13.2:

- The user should be a member of "users" group.
- create /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/10-allow-mount.rules with the following contents:

// Allow udisks2 to mount devices without authentication
// for users in the "users" group.
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system" ||
action.id == "org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount") &&
subject.isInGroup("users")) {
return polkit.Result.YES;
}
});
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
if ((action.id ==
"org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal") &&
subject.isInGroup("users")) {
return polkit.Result.YES;
}
});

Though it seems to talk about mounting, auto-mounting worked for me
without this rule, but un-mounting did not.

Regards,
--
Mark Goldstein