[opensuse-kde3] Re: [opensuse] disable upper key
On Saturday 18 August 2012 11:38:36 Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
la. den 18. 08. 2012 klokka 16.29 (+0700) skreiv C. Brouerius van Nidek:
On KDE you will find in the menu "Configure Desktop"
Go there and look for "Input Devices". Klick it and choose "Keyboard".
Go to advanced and activate "Configure keyboard options".
Go down to "Cap Lock key behavior" and make your choice from there.
Would suggest Caps Lock is Disabled
Aplly the change and your problem is gone.

Interesting. I see there are several other options for Caps Lock
behaviour, but is it also possible to remap it for running other
KDE commands? More specifically, is it possible to set Caps Lock
to launch the krunner dialogue?

Here is the method (for KDE3. I love and use KDE3) using scripts :

1/ create a keyboard shorcut :
create a krunner.khotkeys file (as root) in /opt/kde3/share/apps/khotkeys
The content of the file is at the end of this email

2/ Here is the magical command to lauch the krunner (or minicli in kde3) :
create a file /usr/bin/krunner, since I didn't managed to create a khotkeys
shortcut with arguments :( Don't forget to make it executable.
#! /bin/sh
dcop kdesktop KDesktopIface popupExecuteCommand

3/ run (as NON root !) :
/opt/kde3/lib/kconf_update_bin/khotkeys_update --id krunner
It tells KDE3 to update shortcuts.

/opt/kde3/share/apps/khotkeys/krunner.khotkeys file :

[Data]
DataCount=1

[Data_1]
DataCount=1
Enabled=true
Name=Preset Actions
SystemGroup=0
Type=ACTION_DATA_GROUP
AllowMerge=true

[Data_1Conditions]
Comment=
ConditionsCount=0

[Data_1_1]
Comment=Launches krunner by Dsant
Enabled=true
Name=PrintScreen
Type=COMMAND_URL_SHORTCUT_ACTION_DATA

[Data_1_1Actions]
ActionsCount=1

[Data_1_1Actions0]
CommandURL=/usr/bin/krunner
Type=COMMAND_URL

[Data_1_1Conditions]
Comment=
ConditionsCount=0

[Data_1_1Triggers]
Comment=Simple_action
TriggersCount=1

[Data_1_1Triggers0]
Key=Alt+Ctrl+D
Type=SHORTCUT

[Main]
Version=2
ImportId=krunner

Now if you press Ctrl+Alt+D, you should see the krunner window. Adapt it to
your needs.

Dsant