Re: [opensuse-kde3] openSUSE 12.1 with KDE3 and KDE4 applications
On Friday July 13 2012 23:03:58 Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
Hi!

I am about to install openSUSE 12.1 on a laptop. I want to use it mainly
(or entirely) with the KDE3 desktop but I still want to be able to run
KDE4 applications under KDE3. In the past, I have done this with openSUSE
11.3 and 11.4. During installation of 11.3 and 11.4, I selected KDE4 as
the default desktop. Then I added the KDE:KDE3 repository and installed
all the packages to properly run KDE3 following more or less the
recommendations given here:

HOW-TO: KDE 3.5 on 11.4

This has worked perfectly and I was even able to use the oxygen theme in
KDE3. For example, okular and vlc came with the nice oxygen theme even
when running under KDE3.

My question is: Is this procedure going to work also with openSUSE 12.1 or
is there anything in particular I have to pay attention to?

Thanks!

Gianluca

Here is what I do each time :
* install with LXDE, XFCE or whatever, but NOT KDE4
* add KDE3 repositories and kde3 rpms
* edit files :
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager : DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm3"
/etc/sysconfig/windowmanager : DEFAULT_WM="startkde3"
* logout, chose kde3 desktop at password prompt

programs look-and-feel are kde3 or kde4, it depends... For example, I have
just checked :
* vlc is kde4
* kwrite is kde3.
Most are kde3, hopefully :)