Re: [opensuse-kde3] Hah!  11.4 desktop configured - Despite no kcontrol :)
Did you use the default (Crystal) icon theme before? It seems this affects
only those who use it. I use DarkGlass_Reworked, maybe because of that I had
no such problem.

Hmmm. I went into the 11.4_x86/3.5 (from 11.4 repo) system I genned earlier
this week. Changed from the default theme (which I believe
is "crystal-SUSE") to "Plastik". Before this change, neither Kcontrol nor
icons.desktop worked. After the change, icons.desktop worked, but Kcontrol
still comes up blank as always. Even changed the icon theme (to
KDE-Classic) ... no difference.

Interesting tidbit: when you select Plastik as the theme, it automagically
switched to the "crystal-SVG" ison theme, and I couldn't see any material
impact. So, changed back to that after KDE-Classic.