[opensuse-kde3] Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE:KDE3 issues
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:23:55 +0200
On Tuesday 31 August 2010 12:21:10 Ilya Chernykh wrote:
- First of all I have to announce that we completed for the most part
moving of packages from KDE:Communitry.

Well done!

It has been done much quicker than
by the KDE4 team. Some packages are not moved because they have problems
either with build or during runtime. Some packages like ksquirrel have
well-known security issues. I do not know should we include them in
KDE:KDE3 or not.

You are already sitting on a powder keg of unmaintained security risky code -
kio_http, khtml, SSL certificate handling, Qt image format code and netcode,
kopete protocol plugins, kget, ktorrent - so I would decrease your exposure by
not including known security issues.

- It seems that some packages were disabled for Factory. Namely,
kdemultimedia3 and anything related to Beagle. Please tell me the actual
reason or the disabling. I can add to KDE:KDE3 repository any libraries
needed for the build. For example, I can restore kdemultimedi3. Or are
there any other reasons for the disabling? Beagle in particular is
essential for finding topics in KDE help system.

Beagle is gone from 11.3 as already stated. Use Recoll, Strigi or Tracker.
The integration points with khelpcenter are only scripts so it should not be
too much work.

- I am planning to add some soft dependencies to some basic KDE packages
to improve user's experience. For example, it would be good in my view if
kdebase3-workplace recommended kde3-knemo and desktoptext-config.
Also some plugins may be recommended. Please tell me if this is against
OpenSUSE packaging policy.

The openSUSE way would be to define these extra packages in patterns in the
KDE:KDE3 project and provide one click install links to these. Adding them to
kdebase3-workspace is excessive - this should only contain 'upstream'
recommendations - and will force users who don't want these packages but don't
know how to prevent Recommends from being installed to have them.

- I have long-range plans to include Qt3-based versions of Yast2,
VirtualBox and Firefox. If somebody has experience in compiling Firefox
for Qt3, any help welcome.

I would avoid reanimating more zombies than you can handle. With the security
risks I mentioned before, and the integration issues you will face with newer
versions of openSUSE (HAL being removed, NetworkManager changes,
k3b+wodim/cdrecord, sound systems changes, removed sax2 requires a randr tool
in the user session, and so on) you are going to have your work cut out to
keep up anyway.

- OpenSUSE maintainers, what's your opinion about possibility
to include KDE3 option to OpenSUSE?

P(inclusion) = 0. Sorry.

The basic part of KDE3 (including
kicker, konq, ksysguard, kcontrol) is already included (to be precise, it
was never removed from OpenSUSE), but the ability to logon on KDE3 is
disabled. The status of KDE3 repository has improved considerably in
recent times, so it may look reasonable to reconsider KDE3's status. To
enable a user to install KDE3 on his system we need to include only a tiny
package
kdebase3-session which takes only 4 kb, this package includes the .desktop
file for the session manager so the user could choose KDE3 on the logon
screen.

A realistic and harmonious y to make your work widely available is to produce
an openSUSE respin image as we are doing for KDE 4.5.1, using either OBS or
SUSE Studio. See KDE:Medias/kde-reloaded in the OBS for an example.

- Besides this one can consider including KDE:KDE3 repository in the list
of community repositories along with the Education repo etc so a user could
be able to install the full version of KDE3 from the community repo.

No comment - talk to opensuse-community.org about this, they maintain this
list.

Will
--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team