Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
On Wednesday 19 Sep 2012 13:45:59 Rajko wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:13:27 +0200
Nico Kruber <nico.kruber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure if copies of all installed rpms are stored on disk, but
at least after the last step, the old rpm can be deleted

Default is not to keep rpm files, but as I can find some in older
installation with a lot of updates, it seems that it keeps last
version for delta rpm process.

General default can be changed, but it is:
* not obvious how to do that,
* not advertised as an option to save bandwidth.
Majority of users will leave default. Even those that can profit from
smaller downloads, like people with ISPs that sell metered connection
with download caps.

(One good thing out of this discussion is that I'll update
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation group of articles with this)

I still don't know exactly, how this delta rpm process works.

1) are copies of the installed rpms kept on disk so that a delta-rpm can apply
its changes on it? or
2) do the delta rpms apply changes directly to the files on disk? or
3) are the rpms re-assembled from the files on disk if their metadata still
matches, e.g. hash sums? and if not, is the rpm loaded instead of the delta
rpm?

Nico