Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
On Wednesday 19 Sep 2012 10:44:28 Rajko wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:32:35 +0200

Nico Kruber <nico.kruber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
openSUSE:Update uses delta RPMs so it shouldn't be that big

Note that delta rpm saves for sure only on a download traffic, nothing
else.

correct, but download bandwidth is probably the limitating factor, not
(temporary) hard disk free space

As it is now, it will reassemble rpm right after a download, which
with slower machines can take some time, keeping computer busy with
update longer then plain rpm.

correct, for slower CPUs, the actual gain in terms of overall processing time
may be lower.
If you're on a very fast line, it may actually be better for you to just
download the whole package instead of applying the delta rpm. However, OBS-
mirrors probably pay for the traffic and they'll thank you for downloading the
deltas :)

So far I understand, process is:
* download delta to temp copy on a disk,
* load previously saved rpm,
* apply delta,
* save new rpm for installation and later updates.

I'm not sure if copies of all installed rpms are stored on disk, but at least
after the last step, the old rpm can be deleted

Even if it is using RAM as much as possible disk IO is bottleneck that
didn't improve much in last 10 years on consumer class computers.

You must have a very slow computer and a very fast broadband connection not to
benefit from delta rpms for packages over a certain size.

When we update package that was never updated we don't have a copy on
disk, so we have to use plain rpm file. Deltas can kick in on next
update, which may, or may not happen.

I assumed that "burdened with 500 megs of updates every 2-4 weeks" means
traffic - anyway, used space on the HDD should be rather constant after having
the package installed once

Nico