Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:37:04 +0200
Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 16:38:23 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
In data martedì 18 settembre 2012 15:12:18, Raymond Wooninck ha scritto:
As Sven indicated I also have my doubts if KDE:Distro:Stable is really
being used by anybody. It just contains the KDE version that was shipped
with the
Working with stats in my day job, I ask: can we get some numbers out of
usage of KDS versus KRxy? That would probably help in making a decision.

AFAIK there are only download numbers and nobody really knows what they mean,
i.e. they could depend on the number of updates in a repo rather than its
number of users, certainly the number of packages etc.

The only thing I would boldly state from those numbers is that KUA is _very_
popular and hence indicates that people do want updates that openSUSE does not
offer in their official update repo. KUA has only a small number of packages
compared to other KDE repos. So if one would divide the number of downloads by
the number of packages (assuming there is a relation), its usage would become
even more impressive. KUA is part of the community repo list, i.e. easy to
add. I wonder were KRxy usage would be if it was as easy to add as KUA.

27966773 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_12.1
21854756 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_12.1
2485050 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_11.4
2560126 KDE:Release:48::openSUSE_12.1
2127425 KDE:Release:49::openSUSE_12.1
2124572 KDE:Release:49::openSUSE_12.2
2026886 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_12.2
1870427 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_11.4
1625850 KDE:Distro:Stable::openSUSE_12.1
1569690 KDE:Release:47::openSUSE_12.1
1263681 KDE:Extra::KDE_Release_48_openSUSE_12.1
1119764 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_12.2
827931 KDE:Distro:Factory::openSUSE_12.1

http://www.suse.de/~coolo/repo.list

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Statistics might help to estimate the number
of potential users.

So for 12.3 we should already now indicate whether we target KDE 4.10 or
KDE 4.9.5. Then we eliminate the discussions just before the feature

As part of upstream, I think it's not just a discussion of simply "newer but
untested" and "older but tested". I say so because on the KDE Forums we
have a fair share of Debian users which are locked on "prehistoric"
versions and suffer bugs that are long fixed upstream.

You misunderstand them! They are using a rock-solid KDE version! :|

On the other hand, of course, there may be rough edges in a newer release
that may be unnecessarily pushed onto users.

.0 maybe – but since users are free to chose when to update/upgrade they can
wait until e.g. 12.3 gets KDE 4.10.2 or even until it gets to .4.

- Are there any known regressions?

This is something upstream has to take part. Either upstream complains about
users reporting old bugs because of using old KDE versions or they prioritise
regressions and hence make them a non-issue. The latter would help downstream
to ship KDE updates.

Sven