Re: [opensuse-kde] our goals for 12.3
  • From: Andres Silva <anditosan1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:31:04 -0600
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 13 Sep 2012 17:29:46 Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 13. september 2012 15:00:52 skrev Alin M Elena:
Can we make a list of our goals for 12.3?

add your favourites..

* Include KDE Telepathy, SFLPhone (backend+KDE client), Kamoso and
Knights in the official distribution.

* Include the necessary stuff for video thumbnails/previews in the default
installation (assuming it works, unlike in the 4.8.5 update >:-)

* Evaluate Plasma Media Center for inclusion (tech preview?)

* Polishing and enhancing various KCMs - especially krandr (more relevant
than ever now that the nvidia blob supports xrandr), File Associations
(make it possible to change default app for a whole category of MIME-
types in one step, e.g. "video", "txt", "audio" etc.)

* Print manager job applet (if printmanager doesn't get elegantly
integrated into SC 4.10 upstream).

* A simple, smooth, reliable tool to notify about and install updates. Maybe
a QML plasmoid talking with libzypp directly without layers of RH
experiments and research projects inbetween.

* Use YaST to install local RPMs when clicked in Dolphin instead of
Apper/PackageKit

* A (KDE) tool to set GTK3 theme (kde-gtk-config?)

* Make the default desktop not start Akonadi by default and make Akonadi
not start/run when users don't have any PIM data

* Do a review of core/default KDE apps to make sure they're properly
associated with all the MIME types they're actually capable of opening.

* Qt 5?

A worthy list, to which I would add everythign we didn't get done or drop for
12.2: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:KDE_feature_plan_12.2

* More polished display manager them, switchable userlist
* Fix disable touchpad on typing
* clean default notifications
* disable useless ktip
* check default window sizes are useful
* print-manager?
* netbook edition, Active?
* clean the K menu!
* fix default file associations
* Fix Polkit systemsettings module
* menu-in-titlebar mode

+1

I think revising the windows' sizes are very useful. Disabling the
trackpad while typing, awesome. Do you think we can incorporate Open
Sans and tweak the font's settings? Also, I see that there are a few
things being worked on with the notification widget on KDE. Some
plasma themes simply do not look great with it. Can we switch, until
KDE notifications are set on a particular style, to using "colibri."
Is is a very simple notification system and it integrates into KDE
System Settings.

My list would be

1. Switch to a different default font (open sans)
2. Change/add anti aliasing and forced dpi with full rgb subpixel rendering
3. Change notification system to colibri until KDE stabilizes its
notification system, or make it look better with different plasma
themes

This makes for a long list, but if we each take responsibility for items, and
keep a tight meeting schedule to track progress and keep enthusiastic, it will
get done.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
(AG Nürnberg)