[opensuse-kde] KMail2 and related things
  • From: İsmail Dönmez <idoenmez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:53:43 +0200
Hi all;

First of all I myself have been testing KMail2 for long before shipping it as
an update, until the 4.7 release day we have been having random problems
related to Akonadi, so we decided to switch Akonadi to use SQLite backend
instead of MySQL. This resulted in an actually working KMail2.

Now, some of you are pissed asking why we switched to SQLite without
discussing it, the reason was that MySQL backend simply didn't work for us and
we faced a tough decision, either we were going to ship something that doesn't
even work on our development machines or ship with SQLite backend accept that
some Akonadi operations can block the Graphical User Interface (eg. kmail).

I couldn't ship a known-to-be broken software with a straight face, so I
changed akonadi to use SQLite backend, which btw Fedora is now defaulting
(they did before us).

Please don't feel personal about this, this is not about listening to
community, discussing with the community. This is about not shipping with
known-broken software.

I hope this clears up some confusion.

Sent from my KMail2.

--