[opensuse-kde] Problems and fixes to set the default application (Was: Discussion about which should be the default applications)
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:37:51 +0200
2010/6/20 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

As discussed in the latest meeting the default application selection
in openSUSE/KDE is far from perfect. It's not a simple problem, but
the first step to fix it is to define which apps should be the default
apps for each filetype.
I created a first draft at
http://wiki.opensuse.org/Portal:KDE/Default_applications. I would like
people to comment and to add new "Alternatives" and filetypes to the
list.

Please, use the main thread to discuss which should be the default
apps. Here I want to comment the technical problems.

I created home:RedDwarf:kde_defaultapps where I put all the, I hope,
fixes for the problems I found. In the description of every package I
explain why it's there. If somebody knows of a better way to fix
them...

The big, general problem, is that the InitialPreference system doesn't
allows to set per-MIME preferences, only per-.desktop preferences.
That means that apps need to do as Okular does and split its .desktop
files. I'm going to patch Kaffeine/Amarok, but it would be better if
upstream did it directly (reported in bugs.kde.org: #242292 and
#242294). I expect this to be needed in more cases, any better
solution?