Re: [opensuse-kde] Problem with Thunderbird in KDE 4.3
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:03:18 +0100
Hi,

On 11/16/2009 02:49 PM, Heinz W. Simoneit wrote:
Paul Hands schrieb:
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
On 11/16/2009 12:39 PM, Paul Hands wrote:

I hit this issue too. I fixed it by editing the prefs.js file for
Thunderbird to include the following....

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/opt/firefox/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https",
"/opt/firefox/firefox");

Obviously the /opt/firefox/firefox is where my FF is installed -
change
to suit your own installation. Also, make sure to edit prefs.js when
Thunderbrid is NOT running, or your changes will be overwritten.

This won't work for TB3 anymore.
These prefs are ignored now. The gconftool-2 thing should actually help
though. If not I'd like to discuss that somewhere (bugzilla or
directly).

Wolfgang

OK, and thanks - I didn't know TB3 was different. This fix is for TB
2.x.

it doesn't work, indeed. :-((

I'm also a little concerned that TB3 will ignore user prefs, and will
need gconf, as this is a dependency of Gnome, which seems like a bad
decision for a so-called standalone mail tool.

The dependency to Gnome have been there always. The pref support was
removed indeed. It was an upstream decision.

Will all user prefs go into gconf, or just some of them?

User prefs don't "go" into gconf. They are just read from there in this
case which can be bad enough. But it's not that new and usually easy to
solve once you know.
Some of the work which happened for Firefox probably can go upstream and
would affect Thunderbird as well then.

Wolfgang