Re: [opensuse-kde] launch of YaST2
  • From: Dariel Dato-on <oddrationale@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:13:09 -0600
2009/11/15 Vojtěch Zeisek <vojta.sc@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
in previous versions of openSUSE with KDE4 I was used to press Alt+F2 and type
yast to launch YaST2. System asked for root password and I could work there as
root. But when I do it now I, I'm not asked for password and YaST2 is launched
without root privileges. And there is no way to authenticate as root. After
pressing of Alt+F2 I have to type "kdesu yast2", which is too long. :-) Is
this bug or feature? IMHO, YaST2 should ask for password during startup or
there should by way to authenticate as root in the YaST.
Best regards,
Vojtěch Zeisek

I think the first time you start YaST, a password dialog appears and
there is a check box to remember password. I think the password is
saved so that you don't have to reenter the password for the session,
or a certain time frame (I'm not sure which it is). Being Linux, I'm
sure there is a way to customize the behavior - although I personally
have not had the need to do so.

Cordially,
Dariel Dato-on