"Nice" users?
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:42:09 -0800
for years my family has been using virtual terminals so that each of
us may be logged into the same machine and switch between our
sessions using the ctrl+alt+f... key function.

KDE added a menu entry awhile back that has the same functionality,
but I've seen no preferences available in relation to this
function.

What I wonder is whether it is possible to increase the priority
(reduce the nice value) of the user being switched to in relation
to the inactive users on the other virtual terminals, or to reduce
the priority (increase the nice value) of the user being switched
away from.

I know that technically only root is allowed to reduce the nice
value of a process (giving it higher priority) but it sems that it
would be convenient if the active users session had a higher
priority than the inactive users.

Sometimes I am compiling numerous programs, ripping a cd and have
other background processes running. If I switch to my wife or
daughters session they have to put up with a less responsive system
than they might like.

If this isn't possible then where should I go to suggest this
feature?

Thanks for your Ideas
--
dh