Re: [suse-kde] KDE - instant reboot
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:08:33 +1100
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:26, Stefan Achatz wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm working with SuSE 9.0 for months now and I had always problems with
> sporadic system freezes when closing the xserver [1] and the appropriate
> data loss of reiserfs. After trying out everything written on various
> lists, I found out that the real reason should have been reiserfs [2]. So i
> granted myself a complete new install on an ext3 filesystem. Different
> filesystem, different error: The hangs at closing x are gone, only to
> change into a instant reboot of the system. Every time I want to halt,
> reboot or just want to login as a different user via the kde menu the
> system instantly reboots. As usual i found nothing in the logs. Can anybody
> help me?
> Thanks in Advance
> Stefan

Try removing the 'desktop' setting from your boot parameters. Back when I
installed SuSE 9.0 I had untold problems with the system locking up and in
general unstable. Once I removed the 'desktop' setting I have not had a
problem, and have 15 SuSE 9.0 computers setup this way all using reiserfs.

See "Problems Caused by the Boot Parameter Desktop" for details.
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/10/pohletz_desktop_90.html

--
Regards,

Graham Smith