Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ha (30 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ha] ext4 failure on cluster
On 2014-08-14T10:08:26, steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. Where our single ext4 file server is predictable under load (it just
gets slower), with both nodes up, why does the cluster fail so badly
under ext4 but absolutely screams under ocfs2? The strange thing is that
the clustered ext4 actually performs better when only one node is up.

ext4 cannot be concurrently mounted on multiple nodes. The file system
just plain-out does not support that; if that is required in your use
case, you have no choice but to use OCFS2 (or try GFS2).

If you do not need to mount the file system on multiple nodes at the
same time, do not use OCFS2(/GFS2).

2. Following what is happening with vbox and mysql, are Oracle likely to
re-licence ocfs2 in the same way any time soon?

No. OCFS2 is part of the upstream kernel, and not Oracle's to relicense.

3. IF (2), do openSUSE or anyone else plan a fork (thinking e.g.
mariadb)?

We have no intention nor need to fork OCFS2. We have multiple developers
contributing to OCFS2 file system development and also the rest of the
cluster stack.

If you want to go to production, consider this a quick advertisement for
SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability, just in case you want
professional support and tested code ;-)

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB