Re: [opensuse-gnome] Running Xorg non-root
Le mercredi 13 janvier 2016 à 11:01 +0100, Egbert Eich a écrit :
Frederic Crozat writes:
> Le mardi 12 janvier 2016 à 23:56 +0100, Egbert Eich a écrit :

> For what it worth, I've been using the xf86-input-libinput on Leap
42.1
> for several weeks now and it is working great (setup is a
trackball, a
> integrated touchpad on Dell laptop and an external touchpad from
> Logitech, which can do multi-touch..).

I bet it does for you and will do for Stefan, Michal and me as well.
All of us have a pretty standard setup. We are not using a
touchscreen
or any wacom device ;p

I'm using a wacom device too ;)

And libinput doesn't try to handle Wacom devices ATM, so it shouldn't
be a problem.

For touchscreen, we'll rely on people to test with hardware, as
always..

> I would do a phased jump:
> - do a formal announcement (and even a blog post) on factory
mailing
> list to ask people using TW to switch their setup to xf86-input
> -libinput and report behaviour changes and other bugs.

Please make it a special program: tell people what to do to
participate
in this test endeavor and how to get back if it doesn't work at all.

Yes, of course.. But it is something pretty easy to document:
zypper in xf86-input-libinput
restart your system
if mouse isn't acting properly
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*-libinput.conf /etc/X11/
restart
try again
report bugs :)

> - ask similar tests on Leap (maybe with some version bump of xf86
-input
> -libinput and libinput package)

Please don't do this on Leap! People there may have a different
expectation set. Let's not blur the distinction between Leap and
Tumbleweed!

We are already shipping libinput on Leap. We can ask people who are
willing to help to report issues there. This is to get a higher test
coverage.

> - once dust settles, switch TW to xf86-input-libinput and wait
for the
> next wave of bug reports and potentially retract the switch, fix
stuff
> and switch back.

I'd rather switch the default once: give people the option to switch
before
already or switch back after: personal choice - depending on needs.

My suggestion was more if a big issue is discovered ;)

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager