Re: [opensuse-gnome] Running Xorg non-root
Le mardi 12 janvier 2016 à 23:56 +0100, Egbert Eich a écrit :
Bjørn Lie writes:
> ti., 12.01.2016 kl. 19.29 +0100, skrev Egbert Eich:
> >
> > We could add a 'recommends:' or 'suggests:' to the affected
driver
> > packages. Since these packages are only installed if the
hardware
> > is found, the user will not get the wrapper normally.
> >

> I'd have no issues with this. But lets start with a suggests
please :-)

The problem with suggests: is that IHMO we have nothing that honors
them.
There is no tool that tells you: oh, btw, here are packages that we
suggest
should be installed as well.
Recommends have this weird 'take all or nothing' setting.

Why not use a Requires for those drivers, on the suid wrapper.

> > Yeah, you can. Just not configure them from Gnome.
>
> Oh have you tested? - that commit is only 8 days old and we do not
have
> it in GNOME:Next yet.

I have not tested, but these drivers will work in X.Org at least. So
as long as Gnome supports Xorg, they will continue to work. You will
have to do the setup using 'xinput' though.

For what it worth, I've been using the xf86-input-libinput on Leap 42.1
for several weeks now and it is working great (setup is a trackball, a
integrated touchpad on Dell laptop and an external touchpad from
Logitech, which can do multi-touch..).

> If the hardware still works, I suppose this is the best we have to
> offer (at least in openSUSE). From upstream bug, it's being
suggested
> that this commit can be reverted for those who want/have to, but
I'd
> prefer not to deviate. - I see how you might have different needs
in
> SLE though.

We cannot use this on SLE. At least not SLE-12. It is still too
bleeding
edge. At least for SP2.

I guess it will depend how much multitouch we want to support but those
questions are out of topic for this mailing list ;)

> > Yeah, possibly. I'm not even sure - have we done this on TW
already?
> > Last time I've checked we hadn't.
> > IHMO we should do this there ASAP to have a good test coverage.
> >

> Great news :-) as my SR to enable automatic install of xf86-input-
> libinput a month ago was nacked. I can probably fire up a new one
some
> time tomorrow.
> We did have it as autoinstalled back in March, but at the time,
neither
> the driver nor DE's were properly ready for it. Should be quite a
> different story today (I've been using it on all my boxes since
> summer).

I'm not yet sure how to deal with this on Tumbleweed. On one side I
would like to have this as a test bed for bleeding edge things, on
the
other hand I would not want to enforce everything new on everybody.
Point is: you may want to try out new things in one area to catch
issues,
but in other areas you would like to stay more conservative. If you
have
too fight too many fires because everything is bleeding edge, you may
lose interest. I need to think about this some more and certainly
discussing
this also helps.

I guess we'll have do to the jump one day or another (IIRC, Fedora did
the jump on their latest release).

I would do a phased jump:
- do a formal announcement (and even a blog post) on factory mailing
list to ask people using TW to switch their setup to xf86-input
-libinput and report behaviour changes and other bugs.
- ask similar tests on Leap (maybe with some version bump of xf86-input
-libinput and libinput package)
- once dust settles, switch TW to xf86-input-libinput and wait for the
next wave of bug reports and potentially retract the switch, fix stuff
and switch back.
- switch next Leap to it (and maybe a SLE SP)
- world domination ;)

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager