Re: [opensuse-gnome] High Contrast Inverse (was: Should we allow Hibernation in 12.3?)
  • From: Michael Catanzaro <mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 02:36:17 -0600
I have one question: what do you do on websites that have forms with
white backgrounds? I was trying to type on Github but gave up and
switched back to Adwaita, since the white text I was typing was the same
color as the form's background. :S

I could go back to 12.1, which is still supported by openSUSE, but at
the same time, that one's going to be out of support once the 18 month
cycle is ended.
Debian 7 will ship GNOME 3.4, and will give it security and bugfix
support until 2016. If you don't mind using older software, that might
be a good option for you.

I could file bugs against the brokenness of 3.4 Inverse, but seems
pointless if it has already been decided to drop Inverse.
Yeah, but since it is shipped in 12.2, and in a default install no less,
it ought to work. It'd be helpful if you would make a bug (you can
assign it to me - *no promises*) and attach a couple of screenshots of
particular issues in the 3.4 theme; the Evolution issue I had already
noted, but I'm sure to miss other stuff that's irking you since I don't
use the theme on a regular basis.

I agree that a bug against Factory/3.6 would be inappropriate, since
it's dropped by design.

There's also tons of missing icons in both high-contrast themes; that'd
be a significant chore somebody (else) would have to tackle for a
quality user experience.

Meg Ford did the high contrast icons, and I do commend her for her work.
You can always reach out to her to discuss your observations in more
detail.
Oh I don't have any issue with the icons that do exist - they look nice
- I just notice that a lot of default "Gnome" icons are used because the
high contrast [inverse] iconset doesn't provide ones of its own. It
looks jarringly inconsistent to me to see the default icons alongside
the high contrast ones. But I guess icons are probably a ton of work.