Re: [opensuse-gnome] Should we allow Hibernation in 12.3?
  • From: Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:33:25 -0800
On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 23:22 -0600, Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 21:09 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
Sounds sensible to me. Quite frankly, extensions are in my opinion one
of the killer features of GNome 3. I think we should even use
extensions
more liberally, breaking with mainstream... it is our prerogative as a
distribution after all. But, not being able to suspend would be a very
large peeve for me. I've gotten behind Gnome 3 from having been a KDE
zealot for some time, and this design choice along with removing the
High Contrast accessibility theme are rather foolish decisions in my
opinion.

You're actually referring to the High Contrast Inverse theme. High
Contrast still exists. The general thinking is that using magnifier's
inversion feature is an adequate replacement for the Inverse
functionality as it was said to be too much work to tweak the Inverse
theme. I'm not sure I understand why though, as it was working
perfectly fine for me for years. The removal of Inverse has
essentially made 3.6 wholly inaccessible for me and I don't use it. I'm
sad to see upstream doesn't see the value despite my attempts several
times to point out my issues and find out why they felt it was worth
dropping.

I'm a little worried to be honest. Either I'll have to look elsewhere
at other desktops or stop using Linux altogether if Inverse is to be
permanently removed. Obviously 12.3 won't be released with GNOME 3.4,
so I have no idea what will happen then for me.

I wish I knew enough that I could jump in and help tweak Inverse. But
if the hard-core heavy duty experts are saying its too much work, then I
don't stand a chance. :-)

Bryen

I've read elsewhere that (the fellow talking about the green highlight
Adwaita theme) themes aren't very hard to edit. It seems odd that the
one you need is supposedly too much work. Reckon we'll need to look in
to this and see what we can do.

--
Roger A. Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador