[opensuse-gnome] Should we allow Hibernation in 12.3?
  • From: Michael Catanzaro <mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:39:35 -0600
Hi all,

I see that in Factory, Alternative Status Menu is no longer installed by
default. Although GNOME 3.6 finally provides "Power Off" by default,
without Alternative Status Menu it is *impossible* to Hibernate (without
resorting to command line). You can't press Alt to get Hibernate like
you could for Power Off before - you just cannot do it.

Moreover, Alternative Status Menu v3.6 no longer provides Hibernate by
default. The extension still supports Hibernate perfectly fine provided
it is configured to do so via gsettings, but if you install the
extension from extensions.gnome.org, then it will use a private
gsettings file that Dconf Editor cannot see, and you're basically out of
luck unless you really know what you're doing. So this has to be an
openSUSE package, rather than something installed from
extensions.gnome.org.

I've done the work of updating the extensions package and our default
gschema overrides and filed SRs 146537 and 146538 for this. If those are
accepted then anyone installing the extension with zypper or yast will
get Hibernate and be fine, but I'm aware that we don't normally package
extensions unless they're installed by default, so I sent this email to:

1) Explain why we should package this even if we don't install it by
default.

2) Suggest that we should continue to install it by default. :-) This
isn't covered by my SRs, and I don't know how to do it anyway.

Happy Friday,

Michael Catanzaro