Re: [opensuse-gnome] Any interest in a green Adwaita theme?

"Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar" <DimStar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/12/2012
09:02 >>>

Quoting Michael Catanzaro <mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>:

1) Am I nuts for wanting this? Anyone else interested? Could something
similar happen for 12.3?
Not at all! Not to long ago, I was approached by Richard Brown for
similar efforts. I'd recommend you to get in touch with the Art-Work
team to bundle your efforts.

Yup, I'm certainly interested in this, I've got started, but haven't got nearly
as far as you have, very impressive

Like you, I think we should keep much of Adwaita just as upstream have
provided, but swap blue for green where possible

I like what you've got proposed so far, but I've been investigating the
possibility of co-ordinating this change with the team working on the new KDE
theme http://www.dennogumi.org/2012/11/new-theme-for-opensuse-12-3-is-now-in
I like the idea of using a similar colour pallette as them, to give the
impression of a co-ordinated look and feel across the two main desktops in
openSUSE
The two variations they're using right now are available here:
http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/60761024 (darker) and
http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/16267108 (lighter)

Do you think we might be able to tweak your greens to use some of the greens
from their pallettes?

I'm excited at the idea of finally addressing some of the complaints we get
about the 'disconnect' between the theming of KDE and GNOME, without
compromising what makes each DE what they are.

One important thing to be aware of when customizing themes and
consider them being added to the distribution:
GTK and gnome-shell are fast moving targets and the theme capabilities
are under constant flux / being extended.

Creating a modified theme and proposing this for inclusion as the
standard must not be considered a one-shot action, but rather a long
term commitment to maintaining it. Changing for one release to some
'green' just to switch back the release after to blue, due to 'no
maintenance resources' is a clear no-go for me and I'm sure we all
agree: this would harm the polish of our implementation much more than
staying with the upstream blue (granted, though, giving up on
'identity' in this case...)

I understand and totally agree with Dominiques point - when I was investigating
this last week, I was prepared to take this maintenance burden on board alone,
now it seems like I'm not alone in this crazy idea, I look forward to working
with you Mike to hopefully make this happen

- Richard Brown
ilmehtar on IRC