Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME:STABLE:3.0 repository is now available for openSUSE 11.4
Il giorno gio, 21/04/2011 alle 19.07 +0200, Frederic Crozat ha scritto:
Hi everyone,

the wait is over, openSUSE GNOME team is pleased to announce
GNOME:STABLE:3.0 repository is now open and can be used (but you must be
running openSUSE 11.4).

Everything is explained at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GNOME_3.0
including :
* how to install GNOME 3 using 1-click install (or zypper )
* how to switch from my previous repository (home:fcrozat:gnome3, which
will be soon phased out) to the new repository. This is important to
continue receiving updates, for instance, if you installed live image on
your system.

Enjoy !

(For bug reports, please file a bug against openSUSE 11.4 and put
[gnome3] in the summary of the bug)
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell

Frederic,
First of all I would like to express my acknowledgement to you and other
involved Devs which have permitted to test and using Gnome3.

I did the upgrade on my 11.4 64bit and everything appears nice and
really different respect to Gnome2 series.

One of the first "lack" we can notice is the total or very limited
availability to set options on Desktop behaviour, as Fonts, Icons,
windows, apps, and so on.

I like to "hack" such kind of things despite I'm not a coder but just a
simple user so I fall in some Gnome-Shell customizations but that where
designed especially for Fedora.

In any case I have been able to reduce the icon size (the default ones
are honestly too big) for the apps showing into the main window and to
set a different window dimensions (title, borders) for apps by modifying
some lines inside:

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

1 <distance name="left_width" value="3" />
2 <distance name="right_width" value="3" />
3 <distance name="bottom_height" value="5" />
4 <distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="8"/>

and

/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css

01 .icon-grid {
02 spacing: 18px; /* was 36px */
03 -shell-grid-item-size: 35px; /* was 70px */
04 }
05
06 .all-app .icon-grid {
07 -shell-grid-item-size: 59px; /* was 118px */
08 }.
09
10 all-app .overview-icon {
11 icon-size: 48px; /* was 96px */
12 }

Read more:
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html#ixzz1KMywfqxt

But the left border icons group have been not affected by these
modifications and they continue to be very big, so I would like how to
modify the code in order to reduce their dimensions.

I've also installed gnome-tweak-tool and I understood almost all the
menu in order to change some of the behaviours of the shell, but I did
not understand how to activate the field shell theme customization which
in my case rest disabled with the message "User theme extension not
enabled"

Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 11.4 Celadon - Linux 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop x86_64
AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 - GeForce Go 6150
Gnome 3.0