Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:09:34 +0100
Le mardi 21 décembre 2010, à 11:35 +0100, Vincent Untz a écrit :
I think that covers most opinions that were raised. I'm explicitly not
telling who said what, because I'll likely misquote people ;-)

And now my personal opinion.

Let me first ignore the background :-)

With GNOME 3, there is a real effort to build a theme (called Adwaita)
that upstream wants to see adopted by distributions. And our beloved
jimmac is working on it. As we don't have anybody seriously working on a
GNOME theme anymore, it feels easier for us to stay with Sonar for 11.4
and switch to the upstream theme afterwards. Note that we can't switch
to Adwaita now as it's not complete yet, and it's really more targetted
at GNOME 3.

For the background... I don't know exactly how to feel:

- I'm not happy with us adopting a variation of a KDE background, as
it can easily give the feeling that GNOME is a second-class citizen
in openSUSE, and that openSUSE is a KDE distro.

- I'd like us to adopt the Adwaita background in 11.4+1. But this
means we potentially lose the consistent artwork in 11.4+1, which is
bad. And my previous item applies with s/KDE/GNOME/, I guess ;-)

So I guess I need more time to decide how to feel.