Re: [opensuse-gnome] Altering date format
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 20:41:06 +1100
On 12/06/2010 08:22 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Le lundi 06 décembre 2010, à 20:08 +1100, Basil Chupin a écrit :

I have just installed oS 11.3, with the Gnome desktop, from the DVD.

While I know how to change the time/date format for the
clock/date/weather settings in the (bottom) panel to my preferred format
of *d*/m/y, the date format shown in Thunderbird is still showing as
*m*/d/y.

How did you do it for the clock applet?

In Gnome Configuration Editor, do

apps>panel>applets>clock_screen>prefs

and edit "custom _format" to read "%a %d %b %y %H:%M:%S"

and also change "format [12 or 24 hours]" to read "Custom"

The change takes immediate effect (ie, without the need to reboot or
anything).

This setting is usually set by using a setting associated with "locale"
in other distros. However I cannot find where this date format can be
changed in 11.3 (from the default m/d/y to d/m/y).

Could some please suggest where this setting can be changed (to d/m/y)?

GNOME itself doesn't provide a way to set LC_TIME, but since it's just
an environment variable, it should be ok to set it in ~/.profile or in
~/.bashrc.

Ok, but in other distros it is simply a matter of ensuring that the
locale is set correctly - as "Australia" in my case which automatically
altered the date display in Thunderbird.

I'll try your suggestion, thanks.

BC

--
Attorney: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness: Are you qualified to ask that question?