Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote
  • From: Anshul Jain <anshulajain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:29:03 +0530
From: Andrew Wafaa [mailto:andrew.wafaa@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew
Wafaa
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:35 PM
To: opensuse-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:10 +0200, Rastislav Krupanský wrote:
Hi.

I´m just wanna ask, why we have Tomboy when it consumes roughly three
times what Gnote[1] requires in terms of memory[2] and it´s slower than
Gnote? What about start thinking about replacing Tomboy by Gnote?

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
[2] http://trmanco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gnote.png

--

I for one see no reason to replace something that works brilliantly.
Tomboy is very well featured and is under constant improvement.  If you

I'm kind of getting a bit fed up with this constant "replace existing mono
app with non-mono".  I'll be completely honest here, I LOVE all the mono
apps out there, I have had absolutely no problems with any of them, and
the devs are very approachable and helpful.

Rather than look at replacing something that still leads the pack with
something less featured, let's try and improve it. File bugs, test
releases etc.

Lacking some features is a true. So i´m just wondering so why Fedora
replaced Tomboy by Gnote? [1]

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-desktop/2009-04/msg00006.html

That's an easy one to answer: Fedora are very much against Mono due to
patent fears.  They use Shotwell instead of f-spot too for the same
reason.  They have spent a lot of time & effort in re-writing apps that
already exist.

Isn't there *some* element to this fear of a Mono patent trap, even
after the Microsoft Community Promise? It was said by the Mono team
that the Mono code will be broken up into encumbered (Winforms etc)
and non-encumbered parts (C# etc). Does F-Spot, Tomboy or Banshee
cover the encumbered parts?

Just discussing...

Regards
Anshul