Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:35:10 +0100
On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:10 +0200, Rastislav Krupanský wrote:
Hi.

I´m just wanna ask, why we have Tomboy when it consumes roughly three times
what Gnote[1] requires in terms of memory[2] and it´s slower than Gnote? What
about start thinking about replacing Tomboy by Gnote?

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
[2] http://trmanco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gnote.png

--

I for one see no reason to replace something that works brilliantly.
Tomboy is very well featured and is under constant improvement. If you

I'm kind of getting a bit fed up with this constant "replace existing
mono app with non-mono". I'll be completely honest here, I LOVE all the
mono apps out there, I have had absolutely no problems with any of them,
and the devs are very approachable and helpful.

Rather than look at replacing something that still leads the pack with
something less featured, let's try and improve it. File bugs, test
releases etc.

Ratislav, sorry if this seems aggressive but in all honesty what's the
point? Something as trivial and fixable as memory consumption is by no
means a reason to replace. Sandy and the other Tomboy devs put a crap
load of time and effort into the product, and it works brilliantly
across all seven of my machines. I can even remotely sync my Tomboy
notes across all machines and my mobile phones.

Please let's be rationale about this and look at improving rather than
just abandoning. Do that will make the product better, and show we have
a spine and soul for the whole open source game. We need to innovate
again, not become a sheep and follow others. We introduced Tomboy and
by golly we should stand by it!!

Again apologies if this comes across as hot headed but enough is enough.

Regards,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa