Re: [opensuse-gnome] Some features to implement for 11.3
  • From: Luis Medinas <lmedinas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:15:12 +0000
On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 15:38 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
There are three categories in this list:
+ removing old stuff and migrating to the new "solutions"
I think we should really try to remove some deprecated GNOME libraries
like gnome-vfs, HAL and libbonobo at least from the livecd.
+ trying to not install unneeded packages by default (that should help
with the livecd size too, and so we could add more useful apps)
+ offering a better user experience by tweaking various small things

Note that this list doesn't contain any very ambitious goal, and I'd
love if people would want to work on such goals (like improving the
login performance, or really solving the "install codecs in a legal way"
issue). So we can discuss other goals too :-)

I think this should be interesting to do on Packagekit but it might be
not an easy task.

Switch from beagle to tracker
https://features.opensuse.org/307899
=> Luis was working on this
This should be done in the next weeks, i'm waiting for a new Vala and
Tracker release that fixes some of the bugs i've spotted when i packaged
tracker. Libgee (tracker dependency) is already done.

Empathy as default IM client
https://features.opensuse.org/308281
=> again :-) Can we finally just do it?

I think we already got this by default on 11.3 but still some of the
review i've seen for 11.2 people liked we still shipped pidgin by
default but i expect empathy got in a much better state atm.

archive mounter
https://features.opensuse.org/308344
=> really easy to implement. You can do it today, with a submission in
the build service.

Interesting feature.

New notification theme
https://features.opensuse.org/308457
=> might be solved with the new notification-daemon release that will
be out at some point: there's a new theme there (slider) that we
could possibly use. Someone should investigate.

I found this theme a little bit too dark but it might fit sonar theme
well the problem is that creating these themes isn't really an easy task
it requires some programming knowledge.

Drop glib/gtk/gnome 1.x stack
https://features.opensuse.org/308601
=> I was working on it at the beginning of January. It's nearly ready,
but there are 2 or 3 packages left to handle, and help would be
appreciated there. Ping me if you want to help.

Good to know gtk1.x will be removed good job!

GNOME LiveCD: look if we can remove qt
https://features.opensuse.org/308826
=> I had taken a look at this for 11.2, but this wasn't possible at
that time. It should be doable for 11.3, though. The first part is
some analysis that anybody can do by just launching the livecd. I
can help people start if needed.

Why qt is needed after all ? If it's because of Sax it's going to be
removed so qt shouldn't be installed anymore.

Remove Hal by default on opensuse 11.3
https://features.opensuse.org/308762
=> I'd love to at least not have hal on the livecd

Yes this one is really important since it could speed up the boot
process a bit. For the GNOME stack i think we just need a new release of
Xorg-server (hal removed on git master) and see if we can have gnome-vfs
without HAL (i'm thinking in Firefox).

I'm publishing this list here so that people who were wondering what to
do can start actively working on something :-)

Thanks for this report if people want some more packages for 11.3 please
add your wishlist on the WIKI or comment here. I remember we need a
video editor piviti ?

Luis