Re: [opensuse-gnome] Coming up with a plan to test GNOME 3 in 11.2
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:45:28 +0200
Le jeudi 10 septembre 2009, à 16:13 +0100, James Ogley a écrit :
I think it'd be nice to make it easy for people to test the GNOME 3
stuff in 11.2. A few things this could imply:

+1 and great fore-thought!

+ having a nice http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/3.0 page explaining how to
setup everything (with one-click install links), what should be
tested, etc.

Links to known and significant bugs in bnc/bgo as well and a link to
this page easily and obviously visible within the GNOME 3 default setup.

That would be nice, indeed.

+ make it easy to choose to log in GNOME Shell instead of the
traditional metacity + panel from gdm.
This implies:
- adding a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions

Owned by which package? I say gnome-shell presumably but may be wrong.

Yep, gnome-shell makes sense.

- setting up a specific directory that will contain new autostart
files, mostly for gnome-shell. The desktop files will contain
X-GNOME-Provides=panel and X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager (we
might be able to merge this into one with "panel;windowmanager;")

Just checking, these fields are already supported by gnome-session are
they?

They are. I'm not sure it supports more than one at once, but I can fix
this -- not a blocker at all.

Any other ideas? Any volunteers? :-)

Obviously I'll test, will work on packaging too.

Great!