[opensuse-gnome] Coming up with a plan to test GNOME 3 in 11.2
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:05:07 +0200
Hey,

I think it'd be nice to make it easy for people to test the GNOME 3
stuff in 11.2. A few things this could imply:

+ having a nice http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/3.0 page explaining how to
setup everything (with one-click install links), what should be
tested, etc.

+ have good documentation (with one-click install) on at least those
topics:
- gnome-shell
- new accessibility stack
- zeitgeist?

+ make it easy to choose to log in GNOME Shell instead of the
traditional metacity + panel from gdm.
This implies:
- adding a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions
- setting up a specific directory that will contain new autostart
files, mostly for gnome-shell. The desktop files will contain
X-GNOME-Provides=panel and X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager (we
might be able to merge this into one with "panel;windowmanager;")
- start the gnome session as usual, but with a different
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variable that will let us add our new autostart
directory.

Any other ideas? Any volunteers? :-)

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press├ęs.